11 Facts about Pizza
We’ve already gone over 11 reasons to love pizza, and lets be honest, there really isn’t a reason not to love pizza. Maybe except that the first bite is always way hotter than you expect, but other than that, pizza is pretty perfect. The only thing better than some good pizza from Edwardo’s is learning crazy things about pizza! So here are 11 crazy facts about pizza that need to be shared:
1. Approximately three billion pizzas are sold in the United States every year, plus an additional one billion frozen pizzas.
2. On average, each person in the United States eats around 23 pounds of pizza every year.
3. October is National Pizza Month (as if we needed any reason to eat more pizza).
4. Foods similar to pizza can be traced all the way back to the New Stone Age Period.
5. Early pizzas were often sweet dishes, not savoury! Often sporting fruits, or honey, it wasn’t until much later that the pizza became a savory dish.
6. About 81 percent of pizzerias in the United States offer delivery (you don’t even have to leave your home for pizza!)
7. There is a pizza place in Alaska that delivers pizzas by plane.
8. American’s eat about 100 acres of pizza each day. That’s almost the size of 76 football fields!
9. More pizza is consumed during the week of the Super Bowl than any other time of the year.
10. The most expensive pizza ever created cost $2,745 and contained edible gold topping.
11. There are over 9000 pizzerias in the state of New York alone.
Bonus: Edwardo’s Natural Deep Dish Pizza offers a traditional Chicago style stuffed pizza just as it was served when we first began. Our pizza is as hot, cheesy, and delicious as ever!